2 files changed, 10 insertions, 14 deletions
diff --git a/Documentation/RelNotes/1.8.2.txt b/Documentation/RelNotes/1.8.2.txt
index a287f24800..861ef026d6 100644
@@ -17,14 +17,14 @@ preference configuration variable "push.default" to change this.
"git push $there tag v1.2.3" used to allow replacing a tag v1.2.3
that already exists in the repository $there, if the rewritten tag
-you are pushing points at a commit that is a decendant of a commit
+you are pushing points at a commit that is a descendant of a commit
that the old tag v1.2.3 points at. This was found to be error prone
and starting with this release, any attempt to update an existing
ref under refs/tags/ hierarchy will fail, without "--force".
When "git add -u" and "git add -A", that does not specify what paths
to add on the command line, is run from inside a subdirectory, the
-scope of the operation has always been limited to the subirectory.
+scope of the operation has always been limited to the subdirectory.
Many users found this counter-intuitive, given that "git commit -a"
and other commands operate on the entire tree regardless of where you
are. In this release, these commands give warning in such a case and
@@ -125,7 +125,7 @@ UI, Workflows & Features
string "v$count-" to the names of its output files, and also
automatically sets the subject prefix to "PATCH v$count". This
allows patches from rerolled series to be stored under different
- names and makes it easier to reuse cover letter messsages.
+ names and makes it easier to reuse cover letter messages.
* "git log" and friends can be told with --use-mailmap option to
rewrite the names and email addresses of people using the mailmap
@@ -295,7 +295,6 @@ details).
* The smart HTTP clients forgot to verify the content-type that comes
back from the server side to make sure that the request is being
- (merge 3443db5 sp/smart-http-content-type-check later to maint).
* "git am" did not parse datestamp correctly from Hg generated patch,
when it is run in a locale outside C (or en).
@@ -306,7 +305,6 @@ details).
* "git apply --summary" has been taught to make sure the similarity
value shown in its output is sensible, even when the input had a
- (merge afcb6ac jk/apply-similaritly-parsing later to maint).
* A tar archive created by "git archive" recorded a directory in a
way that made NetBSD's implementation of "tar" sometimes unhappy.
@@ -327,19 +325,16 @@ details).
untracked directory, it found an embedded git repository there
which it is not allowed to remove). It now performs the actions
and then reports the outcome more faithfully.
- (merge f538a91 zk/clean-report-failure later to maint).
* When "git clone --separate-git-dir=$over_there" is interrupted, it
failed to remove the real location of the $GIT_DIR it created.
This was most visible when interrupting a submodule update.
* "git cvsimport" mishandled timestamps at DST boundary.
- (merge 48c9162 bw/get-tz-offset-perl later to maint).
* We used to have an arbitrary 32 limit for combined diff input,
resulting in incorrect number of leading colons shown when showing
the "--raw --cc" output.
- (merge edbc00e jc/combine-diff-many-parents later to maint).
* "git fetch --depth" was broken in at least three ways. The
resulting history was deeper than specified by one commit, it was
@@ -349,7 +344,6 @@ details).
* "git log --all -p" that walked refs/notes/textconv/ ref can later
try to use the textconv data incorrectly after it gets freed.
- (merge be5c9fb jk/read-commit-buffer-data-after-free later to maint).
* We forgot to close the file descriptor reading from "gpg" output,
killing "git log --show-signature" on a long history.
@@ -374,7 +368,6 @@ details).
* "git clone" used to allow --bare and --separate-git-dir=$there
options at the same time, which was nonsensical.
- (merge 95b63f1 nd/clone-no-separate-git-dir-with-bare later to maint).
* "git rebase --preserve-merges" lost empty merges in recent versions
@@ -409,7 +402,6 @@ details).
* "gitweb" pages served over HTTPS, when configured to show picon or
gravatar, referred to these external resources to be fetched via
HTTP, resulting in mixed contents warning in browsers.
- (merge 5748558 ab/gitweb-use-same-scheme later to maint).
* When a line to be wrapped has a solid run of non space characters
whose length exactly is the wrap width, "git shortlog -w" failed
@@ -427,7 +419,7 @@ details).
* "git push" was taught to refuse updating the branch that is
currently checked out long time ago, but the user manual was left
- (merge d9be248 wk/man-deny-current-branch-is-default-these-days later to maint).
+ (merge 50995ed wk/man-deny-current-branch-is-default-these-days later to maint).
* Some shells do not behave correctly when IFS is unset; work it
around by explicitly setting it to the default value.
@@ -446,7 +438,11 @@ details).
* The autoconf subsystem passed --mandir down to generated
config.mak.autogen but forgot to do the same for --htmldir.
- (merge fc1c541 ct/autoconf-htmldir later to maint).
+ (merge 55d9bf0 ct/autoconf-htmldir later to maint).
+ * A change made on v1.8.1.x maintenance track had a nasty regression
+ to break the build when autoconf is used.
+ (merge 7f1b697 jn/less-reconfigure later to maint).
* We have been carrying a translated and long-unmaintained copy of an
old version of the tutorial; removed.
diff --git a/GIT-VERSION-GEN b/GIT-VERSION-GEN
index 4448c35bd0..7952039453 100755
@@ -1,7 +1,7 @@